If you’re asking “what is Apple Cider Vinegar good for?”, then you’ve come to the right place. Apple cider vinegar has been used since 400 BC for its health benefits. Apple cider vinegar and honey was considered as a healing elixir by Hippocrates, who prescribed it for cold and coughs to his patience. Natural raw organic apple cider vinegar which contains the ‘mother’ has the enzymes and minerals which you will not find in distilled clear looking cider.
What is “With the Mother” in Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is made from crushed apples, which have been fermented into an alcoholic cider by yeasts which convert the apple sugars into alcohol, and then by lactic acid bacteria which convert the malic acid naturally present in the apples into carbon dioxide and lactic acid. This alcoholic cider is then fermented into vinegar by acetic acid bacteria.
Some of these live organisms remain in the vinegar, adding to its incredible health-giving properties (kind of like the live cultures in yogurt). When you buy raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar it will look cloudy, not clear. Sometimes you’ll see a little blob or stringy substance which has settled to the bottom of the bottle. That’s the mother! (Source: http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/apple-cider-vinegar-with-the-mother.html)
So, Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother is raw fermented vinegar that is unfiltered, unrefined, unpasteurized and not distilled. It is vinegar in its natural state and it’s really good for us. I’m a big fan of Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar.
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother
The following are some of the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:
- It can be used for treating sinus infection and sore throat problems.
- Use it to protect against food poisoning or take it when you’re experiencing food poisoning.
- Use Apple Cider Vinegar to fight allergies.
- It can also be used for increasing stamina and strengthening the immune system.
- It can help to prevent bladder stones and Urinary Tract Infections.
- Use it for alleviating symptoms of arthritis and gout.
- Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar helps to balance high cholesterol levels.
- Use it to improve metabolism to promote weight loss. Some women find it reduces cellulite.
- Use it as a remedy for treating bad breath.
- Can be used as a teeth whitener. (Click on remineralize teeth for more information on healing teeth naturally!)
- It can also be used as an effective body odor remedy, by eliminating body odor causing bacteria.
- Use it for treating fungal yeast infections. The enzymes in apple cider vinegar promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut, and can help regulate candida issues.
- Can be used as antibiotics to treat ailments.
- Apple cider vinegar lowers glucose levels, and may be helpful for diabetics.
- Relieve gas, bloating and heartburn.
- Despite its acidic taste, apple cider vinegar actually promotes alkalinity in the body.
Other Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar as many people know is a classic salad dressing ingredient.
- It can be used as a Non-toxic cleaning spray – mix one part apple cider vinegar to one part water, and put it in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on floors, bathroom tiles, kitchen cabinets and countertops and then wipe it off with a rag. No need to rinse with water.
- Apple cider vinegar for skin care – simply dab it right onto blemishes to dry them out and heal them. Mix 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 part water and apply it to skin rashes. Can also add a cupful to your bath.
- Apple cider vinegar for hair – apple cider vinegar, when used as a rinse, will make your hair feel smooth and shiny. It also helps with reducing dandruff and soothes itchiness of the scalp.
- As a sunburn relief – use apple cider vinegar to neutralize the burn. Dilute it in water and pat on sun burn skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for dogs (home-made dog shampoo) – Add 1 part water to 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar and mix a bit of the shampoo you use for your own hair (add enough to give the shampoo a bit, not too much lather) in an old empty shampoo bottle. Shake the bottle every time before using as a shampoo when you’re giving your dog a bath. This helps your dog have healthy skin and fur. (I use it on all my dogs!)
How to Take Apple Cider Vinegar Orally?
These are a few ways how I take apple cider vinegar orally:
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey with a cup of water. Take this every morning before breakfast. (You can reduce the amount of honey, if you find it too sweet).
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and honey into your herbal tea or fruit juices.
- And of course, you can add it to your salads as mentioned earlier.
(Note of Warning: Apple cider vinegar is quite strong, and when taken straight can be harsh on your throat. Always dilute it before drinking.)
So there you have it. I hope I’ve answered the question “what is Apple Cider Vinegar good for” as best as possible. If you have heard of any other great uses of apple cider vinegar, please share it in the comments box below for others to benefit. Thanks!